Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The most wonderful ways to prepare chicken.

Sometimes I just like to whip up a batch of protein for the week -- and it's usually chicken. So easy to prepare on a Sunday, then have for the next few days to toss in salads, soups, pastas or just in some Tupperware with a baby salad or some carrots for my work dinner. (I work 2p-11p, so I pack dinners, not lunches).

My first go-to is this: Take a pound or so of chicken (any kind, although I usually buy chicken breasts), dump it in the Crockpot, cover with salsa verde and add in a jalapeno or two (I usually do one diced, one whole. Seeds in tact because SPICY). After 6-8 hours on low, I shred the chicken with a fork, either strain some liquid or add more, depending how heavy-handed I was, and add salt/pepper/crushed-red to taste. Voila! Mexican-ish chicken. It's especially delicious with some salsa and sharp cheddar, piled on chips (makeshift nachos are probably my favorite meal of all time, although I'm trying not to eat them quite so often).

My second go-to, which is actually more of a recipe, I actually stole from a blog I've been reading for years and years. Rachel calls this "the perfect chicken" and I agree 100 percent. Here's the recipe off her blog.

I do however, make some tweaks. Here's my version:

Ingredients:
  1. 1 lb. chicken breasts
  2. 1/2 tsp salt
  3. 1/2 tsp pepper
  4. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  5. 1/2 tsp onion powder
  6. 1/2 tsp paprika
  7. A couple large shakes of the following: Poultry seasoning, Tony Chachere's, Lawry's, chili powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper and lemon pepper seasoning. 
  8. 1-2 tbsp olive oil
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Combine spices in a small bowl, then sprinkle over both sides of the chicken breasts, rubbing in to coat.
  3. Add olive oil to the bottom of a Dutch oven and cook the chicken over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side.
  4. Put the pan uncovered into oven and cook for 25 minutes.
  5. Let the chicken rest 5-10 minutes before serving.

My tweaks mostly consist of #7 on the Ingredients list, and also: I strictly use only a Dutch oven. I tried a cast-iron skillet once and it just wasn't as good and juicy.

(If you don't have all the spices listed in #7, feel free to go without. Or experiment. I just like to play around with other randoms in my spice cabinet).

For real, chicken can be kind of boring, but this recipe is not!

Just be careful with the Dutch ovz! I miiiiiight have burned off several fingerprints today, grabbing that thing without an oven mitt on.

No comments:

Post a Comment